I asked, “How are you?” They responded, “I’m Fine.” Only I knew that wasn’t true. It’s happened more times than I can remember.
- The woman whose husband is leaving her.
- The family whose new baby is in intensive care.
- The twelve-stepper who is in the middle of a really painful fourth step.
- The man who just lost his job and doesn’t know how he’s going to support his family.
- The leader who had a terrible week and is fighting self-doubt.
It’s an easy response to give and I don’t hold it against them. A perfectionist knows how hard it is to be anything less than shiny. But this tendency is a bigger problem than you might think.