Welcome to MarcAlanSchelske.com!
There are two ways you can live. You can live by accident or by intention. That’s it. When it comes to your choices, you’re either reacting or acting.
In one way of life, you are letting the forces of relationship, discomfort, and advertising push you downstream, toward some ending you did not choose. In another, you’re setting out with an intention and organizing your life around it. You’re putting your canoe in the water and paddling towards a destination.
Things may not go as you planned; they often don’t. But you still have an intention about who you are becoming and where you are headed.
This is true in your relationships, in your finances, in your parenting. It’s also true in your spiritual life. It’s also why I’m writing. I want to help you discover how you can live a life that matters, as an intentional apprentice to Jesus. Is that something that intrigues you?
So what’s going on around here?
My name is Marc Alan Schelske. I’m a 46 year-old Writer, speaker, hobbyist theologian, recovering fundamentalist, tea drinker & motorcycle rider. (Much more about me here.) I write about life at the intersection of grace and growth. My goal is to help you discover and experience a more vibrant life where you experience a connection with God and make a good and beautiful difference in the world.
Who am I writing for?
This is the question of tribe. Who is it that I’m serving when I write? When I write, I imagine you:
- You are ready to grow personally and spiritually. You want to see a tangible difference made in your life and the world. You’re want your faith and relationship with Jesus to make a real difference for your identity, relationships and the people around you.
- You may be frustrated that commonly taught Christian practices seem to have made very little difference in your life. You believe (or maybe, hope) that there is a different way. You may even be a recovering fundamentalist, like I am.
- You are an intelligent, independent-minded thinker that is skeptical of over-simplified black-and-white thinking. You love input from wide and varying sources, especially when it connects the dots between spirituality, the Bible, and every-day living.
- You are not looking for an expert or authority, but a partner and coach who offer support, encouragement, and manageable teaching to nurture a more intentional spiritual life.
On the other hand, if you’re a KJV-Only Christian, who holds to patriarchal headship theology and expects pastors to be perfect paragons of holiness, or if you struggle hearing theological perspectives different from yours without the deep need to correct them–you may find my writing troublesome.
I fight against disconnected, mundane, and ineffective living. I fight against oppressive religion that crushes the spirit and obscures the life-giving way of Jesus. I fight against boredom, excuses, and settling for less than being everything God made us to be.
What are my values that inform my fight?
I believe that we were created by God to make a difference in this world.
How do we do this? By living out the image of God within us, bringing good and beautiful things to life in the world.
Through a relationship with God and practicing intentional spiritual living, we find our own way of creating. This is our sense of purpose.
When we do this we discover that a “relationship with God” isn’t code for having said a certain prayer, attended church and read the Bible, but is in fact a real relationship that we can experience.
In this relationship we discover that the way of Jesus speaks to every aspect of our lives, not just the “religious” side. God’s purpose for each of us is that we would mature in the image of Christ. This means growing spiritually, emotionally, interpersonally, intellectually and in competence is the sign of a deeply engaged and healthy life.
Opportunities For You
In order to serve you, I’m presently offering 4 opportunities:
- This blog: This is my “home base.” Everything else that I do will show up here, so if you want to pay attention to only one thing, this is it. But the posts I write here have a specific purpose. I want to help you understand who you are to God, and that you were created with a good purpose. I’ll be sharing personal experiences, things I’m studying, and challenging you on how you see your life and why you live the way you do. With each post I will give you something to reflect on and something to try. That way, if you’re ready to take a step, you’ll have a starting point.
- Email Subscription: I email once a week at most. You’ll get an email with each new blog post, as well as special insider discussions and opportunities.
- The Facebook Page. I also keep a very active Facebook page. It’s a space for conversation. There’s a daily question to discuss. Every week I’ll post links to interesting articles that I think will benefit you. I’m on the page several times a day, so it’s a good place to interact.
- Twitter. I’m active on twitter and would love to connect there. I share links to life-building posts online from lots of great thinkers and writers, inspiring quotes, and stuff I’m up to.
Talk back. Share what you hear and what resonates. Tell me what works for you and what doesn’t. I want to hear from you. More than that, I want to help you have a more engaged and impactful life.