Welcome to my corner of the internet.
There are two ways you can live. You can live by accident or by intention. That’s it. When it comes to your choices, you’re either reacting or acting.
In one way of life, you are letting the forces of relationship, discomfort, and advertising push you downstream, toward some end you did not choose. In another, you’re setting out with an intention and organizing your life around it. You’re putting your canoe in the water and paddling towards a destination.
Things may not go as you planned; they often don’t. But you still have an intention about who you are becoming and where you are headed.
This is true in your relationships, in your finances, in your parenting. It’s also true in your spiritual life. It’s also why I’m writing. I want to help you discover how you can live a life that matters, as an intentional apprentice to Jesus. Is that something that intrigues you?
So what’s going on around here?
My name is Marc Alan Schelske. I’m a 48-year-old Writer, speaker, hobbyist theologian, recovering fundamentalist, tea drinker & motorcycle rider. (Much more about me here.) I write about life at the intersection of grace and growth, with a focus on the inner life. My goal is to help you discover and experience a more vibrant life where you experience a connection with God and make a good and beautiful difference in the world.
Who am I writing for?
This is the question of tribe. Who is it that I’m serving when I write? When I write, I imagine you:
- You are ready to grow personally and spiritually. You want to see a tangible difference made in your life and the world. You want your faith and relationship with Jesus to make a real difference for your identity, relationships and the people around you.
- You may be frustrated that commonly taught Christian practices seem to have made very little difference in your life. You believe (or maybe, hope) that there is a different way. You may even be a recovering fundamentalist like I am.
- You are an intelligent, independent-minded thinker that is skeptical of over-simplified black-and-white thinking. You love input from wide and varying sources, especially when it connects the dots between spirituality, the Bible, and every-day living.
- You are not looking for an expert or authority, but a partner and coach who offer support, encouragement, and manageable teaching to nurture a more intentional spiritual life.
On the other hand, if you’re a KJV-Only Christian, who holds to patriarchal headship theology, expects pastors to be perfect paragons of holiness, focuses on who the church should keep out, or if you struggle hearing theological perspectives different from yours without the deep need to correct them–you may find my writing troublesome. And it may bother you that I just won’t argue with you. Life’s too short.
I fight against disconnected, mundane, and ineffective living. I fight against the oppressive religion that crushes the spirit and obscures the life-giving way of Jesus. I fight against boredom, excuses, and settling for less than being everything God made us to be.
What are my values that inform my fight?
I believe that we were created by God to make a difference in this world.
How do we do this? By living out the image of God within us, bringing good and beautiful things to life in the world.
Through a relationship with God and practicing intentional spiritual living, we find our own way of creating. This is our sense of purpose.
When we do this we discover that a “relationship with God” isn’t code for having said a certain prayer, attended church and read the Bible. It is, in fact, a real relationship that we can experience.
In this relationship, we discover that the way of Jesus speaks to every aspect of our lives, not just the “religious” side. God’s purpose for each of us is that we would mature in the image of Christ. This means growing spiritually, emotionally, interpersonally, intellectually is the sign of a deeply engaged and healthy life.
Opportunities For You
In order to serve you, I’m presently offering 4 opportunities:
- This blog: This is my “home base.” Everything else that I do will show up here, so if you want to pay attention to only one thing, this is it.
- The Podcast. Twice a month or so, I publish a podcast called The Apprenticeship Way, with short, focused, and relevant spiritual growth teaching.
- Email Subscription: I email about twice a month, with links to stuff I’ve written and other things I think might be of help to you. Sometimes I’ll have special insider discussions and opportunities for you. No spam, and I’ll never sell your info.
- The Facebook Page. If you’re on FB, that can be an easy way to see my latest posts.
- Twitter. I’m active on twitter and would love to connect there. I share links to life-building posts online from lots of great thinkers and writers, inspiring quotes, and stuff I’m up to.
Talk back. Share what you hear and what resonates. Tell me what works for you and what doesn’t. I want to hear from you. More than that, I want to help you have a more engaged and impactful life.