Your Life. God’s Artwork. Ephesians 2:10.
That’s the new slogan for my blog. It’s right up there in the fancy new header graphic. This passage of scripture moves me deeply. The traditional translation starts, “For we are God’s workmanship…”
That suggests that we are hand-crafted by God with care and intention. But there’s a level of depth behind that phrase that makes it even better. The Greek word that is translated as “workmanship” is poiema. That is the root from which we get our English word, “poem.” Stop and think about that a moment.
You are God’s poem.
You are a piece of art, hand-crafted by God. Like any piece of art you express something of the character of the Artist. You were made to communicate something good.
When you take the passage as a whole, this is what you get: You are a piece of art, handcrafted by God, to reflect the character of Jesus, and make a beautiful and positive difference in the world.
That moves me. Discovering exactly how to live life this way is the adventure of faith. I want to encourage you to discover how you are God’s artwork, and how you can live this out.
I’m on that same journey. I’ve served as a pastor full-time since 1995. In that vocation I’ve gotten to fill a staggering array of roles: coach, mentor, spiritual guide, babysitter (literal and figurative), event planner, HR professional, public speaker, building manager, mediator, marriage counselor, janitor, even CEO. I turned 40 in 2011 and as I looked back at my life, I learned that I’m not good at all of those things.
Because I want to make a dent in the universe, I desire to spend the next 40 years doing the things I’m wired up to do well. I’m a great communicator, teacher, public speaker and writer. I’m a decent coach. And so I’m setting out to use these things I’m good at, the gifts God’s given me, to help other people find what their life can look like.
This blog is my home base. I’ll be writing here 2-3 times a week on topics that can help you discover the life God made for you, living as God’s artwork made to do good and beautiful things. In addition to that, I’m working on a couple of books, and making myself available for speaking engagements outside of Bridge City where I am privileged to serve.
Is this what God wired me up to do? I don’t know. The only way to find out is to try. So, that’s what I’m doing. I’m trying, and learning as I go.
This “try” lines up with a couple of dreams I have:
- I’d like to spend most of the time of most of my remaining days doing purposeful things that honor God, make a difference in people’s lives, and emerge from my gifts and life experience. That sounds like a good life to me.
- I’d like to slowly begin generating income from all of this. Why? I have a goal that in the next 5 years I can pastor at Bridge City for free. I’d like to make enough income from writing and speaking that I can serve full-time at Bridge City without needing to draw a paycheck. Imagine that: When people tithe at Bridge City all of their money would go directly to ministry, making a concrete difference in the lives of people. That seems so cool to me.
Will you be a part of my tribe?
So, that’s what I’m up to. I’d love to have you involved. I’m going to do my best to provide content that will encourage your heart and help you find the God-given artwork within your life. If that sounds interesting to you, here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to my blog. Click the big grey button in the upper right (or just take this link.) This lets me send content right to your inbox. I’ll never sell your address or spam you. It will only be used to bring you content to help your spiritual journey.
- “LIke” my Facebook page. I’m launching it today! Head over there and interact. All day today I’ll be posting questions, content and polls. At the end of the day, anyone who has interacted 5 times or more will be entered into a drawing to win. If you stick around and interact, you might win valuable prizes. At the day’s end, anyone who interacts here on my page 5 times or more will be entered into a drawing to win. I’ll be giving away “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan, “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young, “Love Does” by Bob Goff, as well of copies of my amazing, one-and-only, collector’s edition CD. (If you didn’t know about, you can see it here: (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/schelske)
- Invite other people in your circle that might like what I write about to do the same.
Oh, and one more thing… start thinking about events, communities, conferences and other places where I might be able to speak. That would be a huge gift!
My journey is to discover how my life is artwork made by God and to live into that reality more fully. Part of that path for me, is to help you make the same discovery. I’m looking forward to being a part of the adventure with you!
Latest posts by Marc (see all)
- The Chapter I forgot to write. - April 23, 2019
- 4 Clues You Need Emotional Growth (TAW018) - April 8, 2019
- Did you know your Christian hero was a theological mess? - April 4, 2019