There are two ways you can live.
You can live by accident or by intention. That’s it. When it comes to your choices, you’re either reacting or acting.
In one way of life, you are letting the forces of relationship, discomfort, and advertising push you downstream, toward some ending you did not choose.
In another, you’re setting out with an intention and organizing your life around it. You’re putting your canoe in the water and paddling towards a destination.
Things may not go as you planned; they often don’t. But you still have an intention about who you are becoming and where you are headed.
This is my belief and it shapes the way I live. It’s also why I’m writing. I want to help you discover how you can live an intentional life that matters, that’s meaningful, and that connects you deeply with God. Is that something that intrigues you?
Do you know where you’re headed?
As a part of my own journey of intentionality, I’m taking a class online to sharpen my writing. Part of the curriculum focuses on getting clear about why we’re writing and who we’re writing to. Since you are the people I’m writing to, I thought I’d share some of these thoughts with you. There’s two purposes in this sharing.
First, I want to inspire you to think about your own life in a similar way. The more you can get clear on who you are and where you’re headed, the easier choices will be and the more satisfaction you’ll find.
Second, since you’re the people I’m hoping to serve with my writing, I’d love to get your feedback on my sense of direction.
So, here’s some excerpts from my writing homework:
What’s my fight?
I fight against disconnected, mundane, and ineffective living. I fight against oppressive religion that crushes the spirit and obscures the life-giving way of Jesus. I fight against boredom, excuses, and settling for less than being everything God made us to be.
What are my values that inform my fight?
I believe that we were created by God to make a difference in this world.
How do we do this? By living out the image of God within us, bringing good and beautiful things to life in the world.
Through a relationship with God and practicing intentional spiritual living, we find our own way of creating. This is our sense of purpose.
When we do this we discover that a “relationship with God” isn’t code for having said a certain prayer, attended church and read the Bible, but is in fact a real relationship that we can experience.
In this relationship we discover that the way of Jesus speaks to every aspect of our lives, not just the “religious” side. God’s purpose for each of us is that we would mature in the image of Christ. This means growing spiritually, emotionally, interpersonally, intellectually and in competence is the sign of a deeply engaged and healthy life.
What is my blog/writing about?
I write about intentional spiritual living rooted in the transforming grace of Jesus Christ. My goal is to help you discover and experience a more vibrant life where you experience a connection with God and make a good and beautiful difference in the world.
Who am I writing for?
This is the question of tribe. Who is it that I’m serving when I write? When I write, I imagine you:
- You desire a more engaged and impactful life built around Jesus-centered spirituality that makes a difference for your identity, relationships and the good you can do in the world.
- You may already be a follower of Jesus, or perhaps just intrigued by him. You may be frustrated that commonly taught Christian practices seem to have made very little difference in your life.
- You are an intelligent, independent-minded thinker that is skeptical of over-simplified black-and-white thinking. You love input from wide and varying sources, especially when it connects the dots between spirituality, the Bible, and every-day living.
- You are not looking for an expert or authority, but a partner and coach who offer support, encouragement, and manageable teaching to nurture a more intentional spiritual life.
Opportunities For You
In order to serve you, I’m presently offering 4 opportunities:
- This blog: This is my “home base.” Everything else that I do will show up here, so if you want to pay attention to only one thing, this is it. But the posts I write here have a specific purpose. I want to help you understand who you are to God, and that you were created with a good purpose. I’ll be sharing personal experiences, things I’m studying, and challenging you on how you see your life and why you live the way you do. With each post I will give you something to reflect on and something to try. That way, if you’re ready to take a step, you’ll have a starting point.
- The Facebook Page. I also keep a very active Facebook page. It’s a space for conversation. There’s a daily question to discuss. Every week I’ll post links to interesting articles that I think will benefit you. I’m on the page several times a day, so it’s a good place to interact.
- The Weekly-ish Seven. This is a 7-minute video podcast I produce a 2-3 times a month. It offers a single, practical and do-able step that will make a difference in your life. Sometimes the topics are obviously spiritual, sometimes not. Yet they always have an impact on your ability to live more present to God’s purpose in your life.
- Growth Conversations. This is a new thing I’m trying. Imagine sitting in a room of interesting people who are talking about how to live a better life. Using Google Hangouts we do just that, and you get to listen in. This brings in a variety of voices so that you can find different perspectives on the issues of living a more intentional spiritual life.
There’s one more element I’m working on, and that is developing some kind of online community where there can be more intentional classes and mentoring, but I’m still working through how that might look, and how it can be helpful to you.
Latest posts by Marc (see all)
- The Spiritual Discipline of Minding Your Own Damn Business (TAW013) - February 15, 2019
- When Christianity seems like just too much. - February 1, 2019
- Don’t Run Aimlessly (TAW012) - January 24, 2019